The Estuary

The Estuary

Monday 22 June 2015

Midsummer Madness

With retirement I am hoping to reconnect with 'nature'. Therefore I decided to celebrate the summer solstice this year.

I recently bought some books about biodynamic gardening (Gardening in tune with the moon and stars) and Celtic traditions regarding the spirits of nature etc. etc. The books have been rather disappointing but I am still interested, so I turned to the internet for some ideas about how to celebrate midsummer.

I found a very interesting book about Celtic cooking


You can buy this book from Amazon


 
I selected a recipe from it called  'Green Man Salad'. Lettuce, dandelion leaves, bacon, vinegar, sugar and salt.

Paul and I have always been a bit wary of the 'Green Man' since spending nights in the wood. He and his friend 'Sticky' used to torment us. We are not sure whether 'Sticky' followed us home and whether he will follow us to Devon...



The salad was delicious despite our misgivings about the Green Man.

I found another recipe online called 'Midsummer Chicken'.



Recipe photo: Midsummer chicken
Picture by Maggie Pannell on allrecipes.co.uk.


I also read about the different ways people have celebrated the Summer Solstice in Britain. There are lots of different traditions but a common theme was the lighting of bonfires. Ideal as we had some garden rubbish to burn. Also some old bank statements to protect against identity theft.

So the Midsummer Celebration was planned - food, fire and probably something to drink...



Dandelion leaves and some wild strawberries harvested 


The wild strawberries were growing just behind the bonfire site

 
Here we go!

A lovely fire to celebrate the solstice.

Happy Midsummer

P.S. the midsummer chicken was delicious.









4 comments:

  1. I love the comment about the bank statements. Did you have your tongue in your cheek?
    Happy Solstice. Have you researched Lughnasadh? It`s at the beginning of August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks interesting. I looked it up on Wikipedia and will certainly find out a bit more about it.
      I was half joking about identity theft but I generally shred or burn risky documents.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know Sticky was in cahoots with The Green Man!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are pretty sure they were working together....

      Delete