The Estuary

The Estuary

Monday 15 June 2015

Finished!

I have just finished reading 'Lorna Doone' by R.D. Blackmore.

When on holiday I always enjoy reading fiction set in the place where I am holidaying. I enjoyed the crime novels of Donna Leon when we were in Venice and I first read Japanese fiction (in translation) when we went to Japan.

I read books set in Peru during our Peruvian holiday and especially enjoyed Inca by Geoff Micks. This is a fictional work, but describes the life and times of the Incas in great detail. The Inca system of using knots or Quipu in place of writing was particularly interesting and I think of it while I am knotting my different coloured cords.

Peru Knots
Inca Quipu


In preparation for our move to Devon I have been reading novels set in North Devon. I read Tarka the Otter by Henry Williamson and two novels by R.D. Blackmore. The Maid of Sker and Lorna Doone.

Tarka the Otter is set in 'the country of the two rivers'. This is the land between the River Taw and the River Torridge which is exactly where we are going to live. I am busy researching the Tarka Trail and we are looking forward to long walks to sites mentioned in the book and hopefully otter spotting!
 
Tarka the Otter first edition cover.jpg

I have enjoyed the books by R.D Blackmore. They are exciting tales and his characters, including small children, are very engaging.

R.D. Blackmore



I also enjoy the interesting bits of  history included in the stories, e.g. in the 'Maid of Sker' a colony of naked people of Nympton Moor is described. This seemed very odd so I did a bit of internet research. I found that newspapers of the 1870s reported widely about the Cheriton family from Nymet Rowland who lived in a primitive style and caused numerous problems for their neighbours. Blackmore's naked colony was based on this family.  Very interesting.



 

Anyway I have just finished reading Lorna Doone and am longing to explore the Doone Valley and surrounding countryside.

Badgeworthy Water Doone Valley
From 'Everything Exmoor' website


p.s. the van is due back from the garage on Wednesday...fingers crossed...

2 comments:

  1. My goodness you are a bookworm. I would be very interested to hear about your holiday to Japan. We are just watching the latest series on Japan....snake hunting ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a few years since we went to Japan. We only went for a week while we were staying in Thailand for a 7 week holiday. We would definitely like to go back.

      Delete