The Estuary

The Estuary

Monday 8 June 2015

I miss my Kokeshi


I bought my first Kokeshi doll  in November 2011 to top the tree for our Japanese/Chinese themed Christmas celebrations.

I chose her because I liked the look of her. I bought her online from the The Japanese Shop They sell a large range of Kokeshi dolls.




Sunset Crane created by artist Kunio Miyakawa
 

I quickly became interested in finding out about the artist who made her. Whilst finding out about him I became obsessed with the amazing world of Kokeshi.





I discovered Traditional and Creative Kokeshi and discovered how easy it is to buy direct from sellers in Japan.





My biggest and my smallest





Sadly when we put a lot of our stuff into store ready for our move  all the dolls went into a box.



The whole collection has been in store since last March!!!



I have resisted the temptation to browse the web and buy more.

                Well all except this one...

 

She stands quietly on the window sill waiting to meet all her friends once we move into our new house.




6 comments:

  1. Another rather melancholy post - all those little dolls locked away.......Nice pictures though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to unpack them. Roll on moving day.

      Delete
  2. What a fascinating post. I`ve never seen them before. I particularly like the last one by the lilies...very elegant. No wonder you are excited to unpack them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make a very interesting hobby. It has even encouraged me to start learning how to read Japanese script.

      Delete
  3. They are very pretty. I can see the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tempted to look and see what's for sale at the moment but I really must wait till we are in our new house.

      Delete