The Estuary

The Estuary

Sunday 31 May 2015

In the Garden

I have listed gardening as one of my hobbies. This means I like sitting in the garden, I like looking at the garden, I like eating and drinking in the garden and occasionally I grow something in the garden.



I received a cosmos seed growing kit as a retirement present last year.
Quite successful...

Paul on the other hand is a very keen gardener and a plantsman. He tends his plants everyday. He is loathe to leave them for more than a single night now the weather has warmed up. The ones pictured below are generally considered difficult to grow.

Here are some of his favourite specimens. Starting with some of his Iris collection.

 
 
Iris nigricans. The national flower of Jordan.


Iris X 'Warlsind'
Iris acutiloba.



Iris stolonifera.
 

Iris paradoxa.
 
 
 
Here is a pretty South American Specimen.   
 
Habranthus tubispathus.
 



 And this one is South African

Disa X 'Inca Warrior'



And finally his blue poppies!


Meconopsis 'Lingholm'




















 They look particularly good when photographed at night.


This belongs to the 'Fertile Blue Group'

 
Our move to Devon is scheduled for late summer so Paul is having a busy time keeping his favourite plants alive in pots ready for the move. Meanwhile I will continue enjoying my gardening.
 

10 comments:

  1. I love the acutiloba because it looks like someone drew the veins on in pen and I like the deep, velvety colour of the falls on paradoxa. And of course I am most envious of the blue poppies. What beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like them. I hope they all survive the move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The iris are so beautiful, but the blue poppies after dark photo is really fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like it. I am saving some of the petals. Some for my petal collection and maybe some to press to make a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you tell us more about your petal collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much to tell. Petals in a bowl! I just don't like throwing them away when flowers die. So I dry them and save them. Maybe I'll use them for confetti if we have another wedding!

      Delete
  6. I like the word plantsman. If paul were a character in ultima online he'd be a Grandmaster Plantsman

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he would. I miss Ultima Online...

    ReplyDelete