The Estuary

The Estuary

Tuesday 19 May 2015

I love Micro Macrame Mandala Flowers

In my previous post I talked about 'getting to grips' with retirement. My method has been to devise daily and weekly schedules. Sounds a bit rigid but I don't have to stick to them. They are just there in case I need them. It makes me feel grounded, not floating. And I have allocated a significant amount of time each day to 'Art and Craft'. Bliss...

I rediscovered Macramé in July 2014. My guru has been Christina Larsen via her CSLdesigns You Tube tutorials. The first tutorial of hers I followed was to make a micro macramé four leafed clover and then I tried my first Mandala Flower. 
 
Time flies when I'm knotting. One night when I couldn't sleep I calculated how many knots in one mandala flower. I can't remember the answer, probably because I fell asleep, but it is a very large number. It is very calming. I sit in my upstairs work room and listen to the sounds around me. I think it is a form of meditation as well as a creative craft.


I follow the instructions from CSLdesigns You Tube Channel
 
My first one made for Harry's birthday card August 2014

Since making my first Mandala Flower in shades of green for Harry's birthday card I have made lots more in lots of different colour combinations. I like to make them with a particular person in mind and choose the colours accordingly.


 
The first time I saw a photo of a Micro macramé mandala flower was on deviantart.com. That's a really good online art gallery. I loved the colours and the flowing cords. I think I like them best when they are not finished off.


 



This one was for Paul's birthday card.
It has the colours of the Spanish flag which he likes plus some blue and green for variety.

Just thinking about these mandala flowers has made me want to make another. I can't resist but can't decide whether to make it for myself or for the next person on my birthday card list.  I need to start choosing the colours straight away.

9 comments:

  1. Yay! Is Jamie next on your list? Blue & white (Reading colours) 😃 They really are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he's next. I chose colours based on an outfit he was wearing in tenneriffe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, that probably wasn't a very nice first comment. The macramé is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please can you send me one....lots of colours. I will send you a something in exchange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray. I will get started on one right away.

      Delete