The Estuary

The Estuary

Monday 17 August 2015

I love SFS (Shrewsbury Flower Show)

Shrewsbury Flower Show is recorded in the Guinness Book of Records as 'the world's longest running Horticultural Show in one location'.

Shropshire Horticultural Society organised the first show in 1875!

We have been living in Shrewsbury for nearly eight years and have been to the show every year (although I can't find any photos from 2009).


2015 Gladioli display


2008 was my mother's 80th birthday and as part of her celebration she joined us on our first trip to the flower show.


2008 Enjoying a ride on Sabrina Goddess of the Severn before our visit to the show.

Each year the official opening of the show is preceded by the arrival of the military marching band. The band marches round the town and arrives at the main gates to the park.


2010

I am interested in growing Bonsai trees and have had several attepts. Each year there are amazing displays of Bonsai at the show. I have bought several specimens over the years and have currently got one surviving.


2011 Inspirational Bonsai


2012 was the first year we purchased annual membership which meant we could attend the show both days. It also meant we could use the privileged 'Member's Enclosure' where there was a bit more space for sitting and watching the fireworks.


2012 Member's Enclosure before the main crowds have entered the show.

The format of the show remains pretty similar each year and by 2013 I had learnt how to be sure of a good position for watching the marching band arrive.

2013 The familiar opening ceremony

Last year my sister came with us and we all really enjoyed it. Especially the evening entertainment. There is always a singer or band followed by the massed bands and a male voice choir. The choir finishes off by singing the Welsh and then the English National anthems and then there is the magnificent firework display.

2014 The massed bands put on a great show


Well, 2015 will probably be our last year of attending. It started off very wet but after lunch the sun came out.


2015 The opening march had to be cut short because of the heavy rain.


 I attended a very interesting and useful lecture on growing orchids and am looking forward to expanding my orchid collection once we have moved. I currently have two that are doing quite well.



Despite the wet start I loved my day at the show.



2015 These competition begonias were incredible.

The show typifies the character of the town and its position on the border between England and Wales. It will be a great way to remember so many good things about living in Shrewsbury.





10 comments:

  1. What a lovely post - can't believe you've been there 8 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Time certainly passes quickly as you get older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those gladdies. Looks like a great show. The orchids look lovely with your doll. I would be very interested to hear what you learnt as I rescued 3 orchids from Toby and Amanda`s move. My bathroom window is a tad crowded as I nurse them back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The orchid expert gave 3 main points: good light but no direct sun, water when dry by completely dunking the plant 2-3 times till thoroughly wet, and feed every other watering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative! A bonsai tree was a strong competitor for your retirement gift but sounds like it was a good job I reconsidered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I need to develop my bonsai skills a bit further before I can be trusted with a good one.

      Delete
  6. By the way it's Laura.

    ReplyDelete